The Kaufman Cards are ideal for building motor-speech coordination for children with apraxia of speech.
The Kaufman apraxia kits employ a systematic treatment approach that controls the level of motor-speech difficulty by simplifying word pronunciation patterns. Each Kaufman speech card displays a series of “successive approximations” of the target word based on least physiological effort. The Kaufman apraxia “word shell” approach is highly effective for quickly building motor-speech coordination and allows children with apraxia to begin progressing immediately from a simple core vocabulary toward becoming effective vocal/verbal communicators.
The Kaufman Speech Praxis Treatment Kit 1 (basic level) contains 225 visual referent speech cards targeting the pivot syllable shapes that children with apraxia of speech need to master to become effective vocal/verbal communicators. The accompanying 52-page manual explains the Kaufman Speech to Language Protocol (K-SLP) methods and how to get children started on the road to combining consonants and vowels to form words.
Children who are having difficulty with the production, synthesis, and/or sequencing of words with /k, g, f, s, sh/ and blends /s, r, l/. (Visual referents most appropriate for children ages 2-6.)
Also see: Kit 2 - Advanced Kaufman apraxia cards.
Kit 1 Target Sounds: /p,b,m,t,d,n,h/
Each card breaks down the target word into a series of successive word approximations based on least physiological effort. These "word shells" provide a verbal avenue by which children communicate at their own skill level with success!
The Manual Contains:
Kaufman Treatment Kit 1 Highlights:
- Targets the sounds /p, b, m, t, d, n, h/ to train children to combine consonants and vowels to form words.
- Includes the syllable shapes children need to master to become effective vocal/verbal communicators.
- Contains unique pivot syllables such as "ny" or "dle/do" which are not included in other apraxia treatment materials.
- Durable, brightly illustrated, cards.
- 225 engaging pictures (5"x7") with color illustration on front and phonemic approximations (word shells) on the reverse side to quickly establish functional vocabulary.
- A fun and durable carrying case with card files color coded and designed for easy pulling and replacing.
- Vowel-to-vowel movement (diphthongs) VV.
- Simple consonant production (C).
- Repetitive syllables (CVCV).
- Consonant-to-vowel movement (CV).
- Vowel-to-consonant movement (VCV).
- Repetitive syllables with vowel change (CV1CV2).
- Simple monosyllables with assimilation (CVC).
- Simple consonant synthesis (C/CVC/CVC).
- Simple bisyllabics with consonant and vowel change (C1V1C2V2).
From the Author:
"Clinicians will appreciate that more complex phoneme patterns are introduced as the child's ability improves, thus maintaining the child's ability to speak at his or her maximum level."
—Nancy Kaufman, MA, CCC-SLP
Using this product? Please email us with your review.
Children who are having difficulty with the production, synthesis, and/or sequencing of words with /p, b, m, t, d, n, h/. (Visual referents most appropriate for children ages 2-6.)